This morning I woke to a message from one of our Foundation’s team members that her brother-in-law was admitted to ICU and is on a respirator.
Today’s weekly reflection article is simple. It’s a reminder to not put off till tomorrow what we could do today.
I’ve written about this before, and throughout my 50 years of life, have seen evidence of the precious gift of life being taken away in an instant.
So, today, I’m going to throw out there some simple reminders that came to mind:
- Don’t live in fear. I’m one who absolutely has learned in life that fear does paralyze us and holds us back from achieving.
- Don’t live with harbored negative feelings toward another person. This is truly a poison within OURSELVES and can overtake our precious moments of our life.
- Don’t live in the past. Here’s a quote that is most appropriate for this bullet point: “The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why it is called the present.” – Alice Morse Earle, 1902
- Don’t live with “Should”. Just do it. What do you need to do to make the “should” happen?
- Don’t live with “Wish”. What do you need to do to make the “wish” happen?
- Don’t live with “Someday”. That opportunity may not come if you don’t make that first step.
- A super important one… Don’t ask permission. When you tell someone that you (for example) want to start a business, or take a trip, or get a motorcycle, they will surely talk you out of it with a ton of “what ifs” and reasons why you can’t.
- With that, as I mentioned it, don’t live with “Can’t”. If you Google, you will see tons of stories about amazing people who, against all odds and obstacles, DID.
DO live to make you feel good about yourself. DO choose your circumstances that cause you to wake up in the morning with excitement and expectation of the wonderful possibilities that may unfold during the new day. People will tell you how they haven’t chosen their circumstances and how “bad” stuff has happened to them that got them there. Hey, we all have a story, and we all have a choice on the actions we take.
I am a true believer that not only do we enable the circumstances to happen, but we do have a CHOICE to make them change, as well. It’s the concept behind the Foundation’s PREinvent YOUR Life® project.
I believe there is so much power within each and every one of us, and I am a true believer that there is a solution to every “problem”. The word is in quotes because a life event is just that, something that happens. A life event does not have to be a problem, at all, but just something we have to work around. I wrote in my book, If I Knew Then What I Know Now, how we make mountains out of molehills – not only personally, at times, but as a society. I truly believe that, sometimes, if we take a step back a moment and really evaluate things, we will see the option for a small change or a simple thing we can put into place that will shift the issue.
I also believe that if we focus on the solution or the goal, we can make that happen, too.
So, maybe today is your “someday”, the day that you will make those dreams happen.
Remember, today is a precious gift that you have been given. It is absolutely your choice how you will unwrap it, and your choice how to spend it – in happiness or in despair.
There will be a time when each of us will realize our mortality and lose new chances. With that being said, I will end this article as I started it: Don’t Put Off Till Tomorrow What You Can Do Today, and leave you with this really thought provoking quote: “Time and Tide wait for No Man,” – St. Marher, 1225. It is so true that no one is so powerful that they can stop the march of time.
After all, it is time to enjoy life. It is Time to Play.
# # #
Doreen Guma, MA, FACHE, CPC, CLC is a board certified healthcare executive, a certified professional life coach, the founder of the Time to Play Foundation, a 501c3 not for profit corporation inspiring everyone to enjoy life and author of If I Knew Then What I Know Now, Our Quest for Quality of Life. The concept behind time to Play and the Time to Play Foundation was absolutely created out of LOVE. Please see http://www.timetoplay.com for more information.
Source of quote: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071130182336AA7qVmv
Source of image: http://quotesgram.com/kung-fu-panda-quotes-the-present-is-a-gift/#GM9z4waiEp